In this article, we’ll show you exactly how to set up Winflector. The process is simple and can be completed in about five minutes. Let’s break it down.
Installing the server
First of all, you need to install the Winflector server. This should be done on your application server – the one where you have the apps you want to publish. The install process is very standard.
- Get the Winflector setup. It’s typically called wfsetup-numbers.exe, where the numbers signify the version. It can be something like wfsetup-3703.exe, though you most likely want the latest version.
- Launch the setup.
- Select the needed features. Since you want to install the server, make sure it’s checked.
- Go through the rest of the screens, click Install.
- The software will install, prompting for a reboot. Reboot the machine.
Now you’ll want to configure it.
Configuring the server
This section presents a basic configuration. Other articles on this site offer the detailed instructions on configuring particular features such as printers or remote files.
- Launch the Winflector Server – an icon should be available in the Start Menu.
- Click the Preferences button. A server configuration utility will open.
- Click the User accounts button. A configuration window will open. If interested, check out this detailed article on user configuration.
- Add a Winflector user with the Add account button.
- Exit the User accounts dialog with the OK button.
- In the server configuration utility, click the Applications button, the allowed applications window will appear.
- Click the + Add new application button, fill in the dialog. The easiest way to do it is to click the […] button and simply point it to a desired application.
- Confirm your choice with the Add button.
- Save and close the allowed applications window.
- You’ve configured the server.
- In the main server window, press the START button.
Your Winflector server is now up and running and ready to accept connections.
Installing and configuring the client
There are multiple ways in which you can install or deploy the client. It’s even possible to use the HTML5 client and install nothing. It is recommended to use the native client whenever available, as it includes some optimizations which will make your experience smoother and more lag-free.
Now we’ll go over the ways of installing the Windows Winflector client. A good option is to download it from the Winflector official site. The file will be called wfclsetup-numbers.exe. It is much lighter than the server setup. Once you have the setup:
- Launch the setup.
- Follow the installation instructions.
- Open up the Winflector Client.
- Fill in the Server name or IP field.
- In the Login tab, enter the login credentials. Depending on your security policy, you can save password.
- Go to the Applications tab.
- Click twice on the application you have published on the server side.
- If everything worked correctly, you’ll now be using the application. Enjoy the remote work!
If you need to do a bulk installation of clients, we know how to do that too.
This guide is both basic and simplistic. It has one goal – to get you up and running within minutes. Some users will require more configuration and knowledge, and we hope you’ll be able to find it on this website. A general high-level “How to get started with Winflector” [tu-link] guide is available. The Winflector documentation and the Winflector forum are excellent resources as well.
Leave a Reply